Lancaster Castle will host a spectacular fireworks display from the roof of the castle for the first time in its long history.

The Lancaster Castle fireworks display spectacular marks a new phase in the life of the castle re inventing itself as an international tourist attraction. Proposals were announced last month to transform the Norman castle into a boutique hotel and other attractions.

This new use of the castle coincides with the four hundredth anniversary of the infamous Lancashire Witch Trials and follows the success of the Olympic Torch visit earlier this year.

The Duchy of Lancaster have given permission for the castle to be used as the launch site for the pyrotechnics which has traditionally been in Vicarage Fields, up to sixteen thousand people are expected to view the Lancaster Castle fireworks display on Saturday November 3rd.

The Lancaster Castle site increases the pyrotechnics launch height by about one hundred feet so the fireworks display will be visible from wherever the castle can be seen and Lancaster City Council promise that this will be the most spectacular display of all.

With the massive popularity of last years event and associated problems with people not being able to see the display a free wristband system has been introduced for the two official viewing areas closest to the castle, Quay Meadow and Giant Axe.

Councillor Ron Sands, Lancaster City Council cabinet member with responsibility for tourism, said:

Year on year we have seen the Lancaster Firework Spectacular grow in popularity.

Having been granted permission from the Duchy of Lancaster to launch the extravaganza from the top of Lancaster Castle, this year’s event promises to be the most spectacular of them all.

The free wristband system will ensure that those people who want to view from these two sites will be able to do so safely and have an enjoyable time, while those who do not will know well in advance that they need to find an alternative viewing area from the many which are available.

The Duchy of Lancaster CEO, Paul Clarke, said:

This is the first time the castle itself has been used to stage the event, the closure of the prison earlier this year enabled the hosting of such an event.

This is one of the biggest nights in the city’s calendar and we are delighted that the castle will be playing such an important part in Lancaster’s 2012 fireworks display.

Previously there was limited access to some parts of the castle which prevented events like this from being held here.

But, as we start to implement plans to open more of the castle to the public and integrate it more fully it into the life of the city, hopefully this will be the first of many such occasions.

With the first launch at 8pm the fireworks spectacular display will be visible from anywhere in the city that can see the castle and with three new official viewing areas, which will not require passes, plenty of space for all.

  • Salt Ayre with a capacity of 2,500 people, free parking, hot food and drink and Taylor’s Funfair from 4pm.
  • The Millennium Bridge and cycle path alongside the River Lune
  • Williamson Park.

The Spectacular Lancaster Fireworks Display is part of an exciting weekend of activities in Lancaster, starting with the Light Up Lancaster event on Friday November 2, a walk through the squares and alleyways of Lancaster by night, celebrating the Cities long heritage through performances of music, art and dance.

With witches and Guy Fawkes themed activities on Saturday across the city centre, including guided walks and tours, storytelling, arts and crafts and lantern making workshops.

Register for up to six free wristbands by visiting www.lancaster.gov.uk/fireworks or call 01524 582906. Wristbands are issued on a first come first served basis and will be posted out ahead of the event.

The deadline for wristband registration is Wednesday, October 24.

By Ray Dexeter.